Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Wintersoup!

So winter is here!
By my book anyways. When the leaves are all off, and the lawn mowing has stopped: its winter. Which means lean times for me. I love my winter soup because its cheap and easy. Each veggie costs about a dollar, so for ten dollars, I have at least a week of soup to eat!

I always make a base, and I always seem to make a really oniony base. I could learn a different kind, but it keeps me from getting the colds and flu's.




That's my base frying! I start with garlic, ginger, shallots, onions, and leeks, and I fry them in a little oil and water, til the onions go clear.


There's my slow cooker, it's almost overflowing!
Then I put the base in a pot with about 4 litres of water, and chicken broth powder (I'm totally not organized enough to make real chicken broth!), plus all the veggies I decided I wanted in there. This round is: potato, sweet potato, yam, cabbage, celery, carrot, and a whack of baby bok choy cos it was on sale. In the end I found it a little bland, so I added a chicken rice soup mix that I got at Shoppers for the right spice. Turn slow cooker to four hours hi.



I had this Butternut squash that I nearly forgot, so I sliced it in half, scooped out the seeds, an roasted it on a tray in the oven. I put half in after the soup was cooked, when I pieced the soup into batches to freeze or fridge. The other half of the squash is going into black bean burritos instead of rice!

I love soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment